|Title:||Manager, Real Estate Development|
Strategic Property Partners, LLC ("SPP") is the partnership between Cascade Investment LLC, and Jeff Vinik. SPP is a full-service commercial real estate development firm focused on world-class execution, innovation, and creating high quality and experiential places. SPP's first project, Water Street Tampa, is being developed on over 50 acres of land the company controls in downtown Tampa along the waterfront. The phased Water Street Tampa development project is revitalizing the currently underutilized tract of land to create an urban, mixed-use waterfront district consisting of approximately 9 million square feet of new commercial, residential, hospitality, cultural, entertainment, education, and retail uses, totaling over $3 billion in private investment from SPP. Integrating principles of walkability, sustainability, connectivity, design quality, and wellness, SPP will create, own and operate this new world-class neighborhood in Tampa, while also elevating the city's national prominence.
The Manager, Development leads an internal team and external consultants from project inception through design and acts as an Owner’s Representative through the completion of the development process for Water Street Tampa, a complex urban development. This includes all phases of development including zoning, entitlements, design, permitting, construction, leasing and disposition. The Manager works on several development projects spanning asset classes. The selected candidate joins forces with a best-in-class, energetic team of real estate development leaders in Tampa, Florida.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS• Owns two to four discrete development projects; leading consultants, partner agencies, community organizations, political officials and sponsors.
• Leads the design process, including the management of design criteria and program for the building and site along with the project architect, general contractor and building end-users.
• Reviews architectural drawings, specifications and construction cost items.
• Prepares and maintains current performance metrics that include: predevelopment budget, development budget, construction cost, cash flow and project timeline.
• Reviews and leads term negotiations and conditions for various development-related agreements with project attorneys, including but not limited to architect and general contractor contracts, other contractor/consultant contracts, etc.
• Collaborative works with consultants and internal constituents such as Property/Asset Management and Finance teams at appropriate milestones and appropriately influences the development process.
• Review consultant/contractor invoices for accuracy against approved budgets and contracts.
• Review funding requests and capital calls.
• Works with construction administration to manage activities, including: monitoring construction progress and quality, coordinating sponsor contributions, administering the development budget and coordinating contractor payments.
• Researches best development practices and makes recommendations to senior leadership team on incorporation of the same.
• Prepares and presents to internal and external audiences.
• Develops strong working relationships cross functionally within SPP.
• Understands key SPP metrics.
• An undergraduate degree in business, finance, economics, or real estate is required; MBA or Masters in Real Estate preferred.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
• Five to seven years of real estate development experience. Preference for candidates that have worked across all asset areas (office, hotel, residential, retail, mixed use, high-rise and arts).
• Proficiency in Yardi and Microsoft Office Suite (including advanced Excel knowledge).
• Analytical mindset: Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
• Project Management: Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities; organizes or schedules interns and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
• Technical Skills: Reading architectural and engineering drawings, site planning, architectural design, government entitlements such as zoning, construction techniques, real estate law, negotiations.
• Leadership: participates in relevant annual budgeting and strategic planning; sets clear expectations for direct reports and internal/external partners, including role and responsibilities, deadlines, communication regarding progress, and provides feedback; works effectively with internal support services (finance, human resources, IT, and development).
• Outstanding Oral and Written Communication Skills.
• Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; able to build morale and supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
• Adaptability: Manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events; effectively communicates changes to relevant stakeholders.
• Initiative: Undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; asks for and offers help when needed.