SPP is a joint venture between Cascade Investment LLC, and Jeff Vinik. The firm was formed to create a visionary new commercial real estate development platform focused on world-class execution, innovation, and creating high quality and experiential places. SPP’s first project, Water Street Tampa, is being developed on over 50 acres of land the company owns or controls in downtown Tampa along the waterfront. The phased Water Street Tampa development project intends to revitalize the currently underutilized tract of land and create an urban, mixed-use waterfront district consisting of approximately 9 million square feet of new commercial, residential, hospitality, cultural, entertainment, education, and retail uses, totaling over $3 billion in private investment from SPP. Integrating principles of walkability, sustainability, connectivity, design quality, and wellness, SPP intends to create, own and operate a new world-class neighborhood in in Tampa, while also elevating the City’s national prominence. SPP is a long-term investor and has incredibly strong financial resources, making Water Street Tampa one of the most secure and well-capitalized real estate development projects in the country.
Reporting to the Controller and supporting the Chief Financial Officer, the Assistant Controller will provide support in all aspects of real estate development accounting, financial reporting, budget preparation, bank reconciliation, and financial management. The Assistant Controller must have a strong knowledge of GAAP accounting and financial regulations to ensure that the company remains within those parameters.
• Assist in the preparation and reporting of financial statements.
• Develop and maintain systems of controls and policies to comply with legal requirements and best practices.
• Manage the project accounting activities including processing construction and vendor invoices.
• Support the Controller journal entries, invoices, and account reconciliations for period closings.
• Assist in the development of budgets, forecasts, and variance reports.
• Help develop and manage junior Accounting team members.
• Manage deliverables with external accounting, consulting, and insurance firms.
• Articulate the accounting impact of various real estate activities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
• Bachelor’s degree, 6+ years’ experience, and CPA required.
• Relevant real estate industry experience required. Experience within a real estate development or investment organization preferred.
• Public accounting a plus.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Extensive experience with Yardi or a similar real estate accounting software system.
• Excellent planning, time management, and organizational skills.
• Knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
• Versatile to carry out tasks to completion independently or work in a collaborative team environment.
• Ability to quickly adapt to changing and challenging situations.
• Strong problem-solving capabilities.
• Drive to complete projects with an attention to detail while under hard deadlines and with little direction.
• Excellent work ethic and a high level of integrity.
• Ability to demonstrate critical thinking skills in decision making.
• Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills.